I’m, again, thankful for our assignment that required two book postings. With time constraints that do not easily allow ‘free’ reading, this requirement allowed me the opportunity to read a very important book, or at least an important book to me, personally. This statement is based on the fact that my best friend, Dr. Sherri Cone, is the author. She and I met when we were eleven years old, in Altus, Oklahoma. My father was stationed at the Air Force Base. Although I moved off two years later, when my father transferred to yet another base, we remained best friends, going on 40 years since that day in sixth grade.
Although, I love exploring ‘self-help’ materials, this particular book does not apply to me regarding the addictions, but it still holds the timeless concept that faith can get us further than we may believe. My main interest in this book was based on the fact that I wanted to share in my friend’s accomplishment and success. Even now, she works daily to be a source of encouragement and hope for those that have faltered in the legal system. I must admit that because I am so close to the author that I am privy to the ‘words in between’ of the related stories in her book. I have shared many of the personal experiences of Dr. Cone, as she endured them; including her fight with breast cancer, and the outrageous ordeal that her husband put her through; of which these are a couple of events that she mentions in her book.
Overall, the book is written as a guidepost for those individuals that have stumbled on the paths of their lives; and struggle with any number of addictions. Dr. Cone’s book is versed in layman’s terms. It is written from the heart, but backed by her years of experience as a social worker and drug and alcohol counselor. She uses real life scenarios for each addiction and reflects on each. She is a Christian woman that lives the Word of Christ. She uses the Word as an encouragement and does her best to model what she verbally conveys in her messages.
It is a good resource if looking for reading material to refer someone that exhibits silent, or expresses open conflicts in their lives, resulting from addictions; such as alcohol, drugs, sex, or gambling. The book is easy reading, and not a huge volume that would be difficult for someone to get through.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment